INTERNATIONAL ART PROJECT




AN INTERNATIONAL ART PROJECT

Compared with the infinite size of the known universe and the distance between galaxies, the distance between person to person on planet Earth begins to seem microscopic! We are all closer than we realize! Even so, with six billion people and even billions more species, coupled with the exponential growth of technologies that increase our separation, it is easy to feel disconnected and alone...

This project, stemming from individual community art projects and growing into an International art project, is about sharing the moments when you felt connected to something greater than yourself... maybe to another person, an animal, the environment or to any possible interpretation of God. Someone on the other side of the planet wants to feel what you felt when you could have sworn the universe was closing in on you and maybe all you could do was squeeze the hand of the person next to you because there were no words to describe, or the moment when you wanted to scream, "Did anybody else just see that?!" Someone out there wants to know about the time when you caught a stranger's eye and you both just smiled.

This worldwide collection of moments of human connectivity are encouraged from ALL walks of life with no discrimination whatsoever. This project is an extension of myself and without knowing it is an extension of you too. The principle point is that I can't do it alone.

Friday, July 1, 2011

July- "... and even then, it will be just a tiny event in the scheme of my existence".



        
         In 1976 I was in a motorcycle accident in which my left leg was snapped off at the knee by a tree. Still conscious and waiting for an ambulance, I was able to stop the bleeding for a short time before I had to let it continue because of the pain. This went on until help arrived. I had lost so much blood by the time I got to the hospital that I recall losing consciousness as I was carried out of the ambulance.
        I could hear the medics' voices for just a short time, and then I was feeling weightless. No pain, no hot or cold, no body. My essence, my spirit, "I" was slowly drifting towards a faint and distant light. I could see planet earth, small, off in the distance to my right. There seemed to be an invisible wall between me and the life dimension I had just left. I knew with certainty that I could not return that way. Nor did I have any desire to go back.
        Questions arose in my mind quickly and were answered just as quick by myself, as if I had some new kind of knowledge. I seemed to know everything. I knew without a doubt that I would see my family and loved ones when they passed. Not years from then, but as soon as I got to where I was headed. Time as known on earth, such as a human's life span, was a mere grain of sand on a large beach. We all, humans, had no need to worry. It was as if earth were just a level we all had to pass through on our way to a peaceful and more beautiful plane of existence. It was serene, all loving, all knowing, like being born to a brand new world, not as an infant, but as a knowledgeable, understanding being.
        Then, without a signal, sign or thought, I found myself on a stretcher with a medical crew working on me. Pain, fear and awe all surrounded me at the same time. To this day, I have never felt anything even close to what I felt in that moment. No joy or drug on earth could even compare with the feeling of security and confidence I had then.
        Sometimes I feel like I can't wait to go there again, but I know I have to wait until my existence here is finished. I do not fear death for I know partially what waits beyond. The only aspect of death I may fear is how it will come about, and even then, it will be just a tiny event in the scheme of my existence.

William Brennan

Artist- Benjamin Skanke, Oslo, Norway  Benjamin's Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment

To cover the cost of printing and to pay the artists

Followers